What is Coccydynia or Tailbone Pain?
Coccydynia is inflammation localised to the tailbone. Aggravation of the tailbone (coccyx or hard zone found profound between the rear end over the butt) is alluded to as coccydynia.
Coccydynia is a pain felt in your coccyx. This is the last bone at the base of the spine. You can get it if you injure or strain your coccyx or the surrounding muscles and ligaments. The pain does not radiate.
It can range from dull to severe. Delayed sitting, changing position – like from sitting to standing – and strenuous exercises may expand the agony.
Damage to the coccyx is a noteworthy major factor for coccydynia. Coccydynia soften improves over a few weeks or months.
Affected Disease group of Coccydynia / Tailbone Pain
Baby Boy and girl, Teen Boy and girl, Adult Man and Women, Aged Man and Women
Coccydynia is related with agony and delicacy at the tip of the tailbone between the buttocks. Sitting often worsens coccyx pain.
Patients with coccydynia are encouraged to utilize a well-cushioned seat when sitting and maintain a strategic distance from extensive stretches of sitting when conceivable.
Medical procedure for coccydynia is generally possibly suggested when every single other treatment have fizzled.
It might include evacuating a portion of your tailbone (halfway coccygectomy) or at times every last bit of it (total coccygectomy)
Causes of Coccydynia Back Pain
Common causes of Coccydynia or Tailbone Pain is listed below:
- Childbirth [The coccyx can be injured or fractured during childbirth.]
- an injury or accident, such as a fall
- repeated or prolonged strain on the coccyx
- poor posture
- being overweight or underweight
- The pain is often worsened by sitting.
- Less common causes can include a bony growth on the coccyx, the coccyx being too flexible or too rigid, and arthritis. Rare but serious
- Causes include infection and cancer.
- The reason for the torment is obscure and never decided. Conditions known to lead to coccyx pain include the following.
- Damage to the coccyx is an extremely normal reason for tailbone pain. Injury to the coccyx may lead to a bruise, fracture, or dislocation of the coccyx.
- A fall onto the tailbone in the situated position, as a rule against a hard surface, is a typical reason for coccyx damage.
- A hard impact to the tailbone, for example, those that happen during physical games, can likewise harm the coccyx.
- Dull stressing or grinding against the coccyx (as occurs in bicycling or paddling) can harm the coccyx. Less regular reasons for coccyx pain incorporate bone goads, pressure of nerve roots, confined diseases, pilonidal sores, and tumors.
Symptoms of Coccydynia
Common Sign and Sympots of Coccydynia are:
- Difficulty standing up from a resting position and performing other everyday activities, such as driving or bending down
- Bruising near the coccyx
- Some low back pain
- Deep, intense aches in the tailbone region
- be dull and achy most of the time, with occasional sharp pains in the coccyx area
- Shooting pains down your legs
- Pain before or when you pass stools
- Painful buttocks and hips
- in women: increased pain during your period
- Make it very difficult to sleep and carry out everyday activities, such as driving or bending over.
- Pain while defecating
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- If the injury is traumatic, a bruise may be visible in the coccyx area.
- Pain and tenderness in the area just above the buttocks [tailbone area]. Extreme confined pain or a profound hurt might be felt in the tailbone region when touched.
- The pain is commonly more awful when sitting for delayed time frames on a hard surface or with direct weight to the tailbone area.
- Discomfort during bowel movements [Bowel movements and straining may be painful.
Do and Don’ts
Do not sit leaning backward. Coccydynia pain happens more while the person sits inclining in reverse. Hence, try tor sit straight or slightly leaning forward, while keeping the lower back straight.
Do not sit for long hours. Consider moving around once in 30 – 45 minutes.
Obesity: If you are over-weight, while sitting, the coccyx has to bear that much extra weight. Hence, follow these obesity tips and lose weight.
Cold and hot packs: If you are determined to have coccydynia, and are encountering pain, at that point for the underlying 2 – 3 days, keep an ice pack over the painful area for 10 minutes twice a day.
This would reduce the pain. After the third day, for the next one week, keep warm water pack for 10 minutes twice a day. Before giving high temp water pack, apply Mahanarayana oil over the painful area. This would help in bringing down inflammation.
Do not carry excessive weight. This reduces the pain and pressure on coccyx bone.
Clothing: Clothing like tight jeans or trousers may worsen yor coccydynia. Wear loose clothes that won’t put weight on your coccyx. Also wear flat agreeable shoes.
Sitting: Exceptionally planned gel-filled pads can decrease pain when you are sitting. It also helps you to lean forward and rest your arms in front of you on a flat surface such as that of a table. This takes the pressure off your coccyx.
Sleeping: With coccydynia, sleeping on the sides will be awkward. In the event that you have extreme pain, rest on your front to feel good. Have a go at laying down with pad or pad between your knees.
Swimming for at least 20 minutes a day with 5 minutes of kicking warm up will better the pain of coccydynia (though it may not completely get rid of the pain)
Avoid long periods of sitting when possible.
Sitting on a pillow, cushion or a buttock support. Utilize a well-cushioned seat when sitting.
Home Remedies for Coccydynia / Tailbone Pain
Change Your Posture
The most important way to reduce tailbone pain is to avoid sitting for too long. This is very common if you have a desk job.
We spend almost all of our working hours sitting in front of the computer or laptop. Since this is unavoidable, at least ensure you maintain good posture.
- While sitting, don’t droop in backward with your neck forward into a C shape.
- Take frequent breaks and small walks.
- Sit on a soft chair or seat to reduce the pain.
- Sit on exceptionally planned coccyx pads to diminish the weight on the tailbone, consequently lessening pain. These are readily available in pharmacies.
Use Warm and Cold Packs
Apply warm and cold packs to your tailbone. Warm packs incorporate boiling water containers and microwaveable warming cushions. Cold packs are accessible as gel-filled cushions in drug stores. The hot and cold treatment is safe if used correctly.
Heat causes the blood vessels to dilate, bringing more blood to stimulate healing of damaged tissues. Cold treatments can be used to reduce any swelling or inflammation near the tailbone area.
Consider wearing loose-fitting clothes and avoid clothes like tight jeans or trousers that may put pressure on the tailbone region. Also, must try avoiding heels and wear comfortable, flat shoes or sandal to reduce tailbone pain.
Tailbone pain may come with infection around the tailbone. You ought to apply slaked lime with turmeric powder to treat it.
Prepare a paste of slaked lime with turmeric and water and then apply it over the tailbone, you will get relief from the pain.
This home cure can without a doubt give you speedy alleviation. To attempt this you have to wash up in the bath. Include two cups Epsom salt in the bath, when it is brimming with water.
Blend the Epsom salt impacts and after that sit inside the bath for in any event ten minutes. Epsom has capacity to diminish pain happening in the tailbone and it can successfully contract the sore.
Levator Ani Massage
Your tailbone pain can be easily terminated by applying Levator Ani massage. You need to take successful pain alleviation back rub oil and do knead in the encompassed territory of tailbone.
It is the way you can vitally lessen the pain and feel better for the work.
Change in Sleeping Position
You need to prevent pressure on tailbone, which can be a little bit difficult during sleep. You should sleep on the stomach because thus you can easily prevent your tailbone from pressure.
A few people want to rest inside posture, yet it’s anything but a method for diminishing tailbone pain.
Avoid Tight Jeans
You should avoid wearing clothing like tight jeans, when you are suffering from tailbone pain. It increases irritation and pain of tailbone, which isn’t good for your health.
Wear lose clothes and sleep properly during the night to avoid increment in tailbone pain.
Famous as an efficient antibiotic ingredient, turmeric can also help you with healing tailbone pain. It prevents you from suffering from swelling around the tailbone.
You should drink one-glass milk with turmeric daily. It is the cheapest way of reducing pain and avoiding infection.
Tea Tree Oil
It can be an efficient cure for infected tailbone. This oil has ability of reducing infection plus increasing the healing process.
You can apply tea tree oil as back rub oil over a contaminated area and wear free clothes to speed up healing process. It works and preciously reduces pain.
Utilize Special Cushions For Sitting
Managing tailbone pain can be overwhelming and aggravating. Sitting and resting likewise turns out to be very troublesome with this pain that is the reason unique pads are accessible for you.
These pads offer powerful alleviation in sitting and along these lines you can finish your work without getting stressed over tailbone pain.
Muscle strain is very normal during tailbone pain. This condition may transform into a painful condition and it is very imperative to loosen up muscles. You can do it by walking.
Routinely stroll, in any event for ten minutes since it unblocks stressed muscles. Walking can likewise help you in fixing tailbone’s relocation.
The following advice may help decrease pain and enable you to continue ahead with your regular exercises.
- Utilize an exceptionally planned coccyx pad, these can be purchased on the web and from certain shops; they help decrease the weight on your tailbone while you’re plunking down
- Maintain a strategic distance from delayed sitting at whatever point conceivable – attempt to stand up and stroll around normally; inclining forward while situated may likewise help.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes – abstain from attire, for example, tight pants or pants that may put weight on your tailbone.
- Apply warm and cold packs to your tailbone – warm packs include hot water bottles and microwaveable heating pads; cold packs are available as freezable gel-filled pads from pharmacies, or you can utilize a pack of solidified peas wrapped by a towel.
- Try laxatives(medicines to treat constipation) if the pain is worse when you open your bowels – many laxatives are available to buy from pharmacies and supermarkets without a prescription.
- Take over-the-counter painkillers (see below).
Treatment at home for Coccydynia
Most of instances of coccyx pain can be overseen at home.
- Abstain from plunking down on hard surfaces for significant lots of time. At the point when on hard surfaces, exchange sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct weight away from the tailbone.
- For horrible wounds, apply ice to the tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times each day, for the initial couple of days after the damage.
- Use NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), such as ibuprofen (Advil), for pain control.
- Buy a “donut” pad or modified sitting pad to sit on. This pad has a gap in it so as to anticipate the tailbone from reaching the level sitting surface. This maintains a strategic distance from direct difficult contact against the coccyx area.
- Eat nourishments high in fiber to mollify stools and avoid constipation, which can now and again cause declining torment in the coccyx area.
We hope this information is useful for you, if you want to give any suggestion or want any other this type important article, please do comment below.